As your peak body for wound care and management it’s our responsibility to drive the change that is needed to reduce the suffering caused by wounds. Wounds Australia is building relationships with key politicians, other peak bodies and government agencies to discuss the rising issue of wounds and how to overcome them.
Recently we released a five point plan which is calling on the Australian government to introduce the following:
- Medicare funding for treatment of chronic wounds in primary health care.
- Subsidised wound products (dressings and related products) for people at risk of venous leg ulcers, diabetic foot ulcers and people aged 65+.
- Raise awareness of chronic wounds through a public health campaign.
- Wound care training for primary health care and aged care workforces, particularly in rural and remote areas.
- Mapping of care pathways for chronic wound care.
We strongly believe that if these changes are introduced, the quality of wound care and prevention will change dramatically. If you are interested in reading the full details of the five point plan click here.